Tonight I would like to talk about the world of show dogs. Most people in the sport are truly supportive, and really great friends. Then there are the ones that its all about the ego. Theirs, not the wonderful dog at the end of the leash. In most competitions there is just one winner. At a dog show, in each breed there are several winners. Let me break it down for you, First there are several classes broken down , with placements 1-4. Each first place dog goes in for winners dog. This is the best male of that breed. Winners bitch, best female. Reserve winners which is second best or runner up in each sex. Best of Breed, which is say the best Westie of the day, Best of winners, be it the boy or girl that won winners dog, or bitch, and Best of opposite sex. So lets say a male won breed, opposite sex would be the best female, or vice verse if a female wins. In order to become a Champion, you must win a total of 15 points with 2 majors. In order to achieve a major win , you must be able to beat say 10 other dogs at one time which may boost the points to a 3, 4 , or 5 point major. You need to do this 2 times under 2 different judges. There is a whole way the AKC calculate points by how may dogs where registered at shows in an area, for each breed. Once a dog accumulates its points, they are now titled Champion. Some dogs finish and that is the end of the animals breed ring career, they may move into performance events, like the one I described, as earth dog. Sometimes they go to Canada, or another country to get a international title. Then there are the unique specimens that breeders like to call Special Dogs. This means that there quality is so high they try and become some of the top rank dogs in the country. These dogs are your Best of breed dogs. Once you win the breed you move into the group. Westies are in the Terrier Group. So all the Best of Breed dogs. in each group compete for group 1, 2, 3 , and 4. Each First place dog in Each group then competes for Best in show. There are 7 groups all together. When crowned Best in show that means no dog was as good as yours on that day. He was the best of the best. Most show people think that there dog should have one, Sometimes they even yell at the judge about it. I as a young girl used to cry and say, but my dog is better. The truth is when you enter the breed conformation ring, you are receiving the opinion of the judge, on that day. To make a scene over loosing is a waste of emotion. I learned this as I grew up that given the choice between the winner or my dog, I would still bring home my dog. I learned that we as a group are on the same side, trying to better our breed. I learned at the end of a day, each dog just wants to be loved and fed. They are only interested in the owners that love them. I learned that I may not like you, but should respect your efforts, because we are all trying. When I hear someone knocking me, or my dog, I just get truly disgusted. Now for tonight's story:
Justin , I have been told by many breeders, and also in my experiences as a breeder, is a special dog. I finished him with 4 major wins and he has several Best of Breeds, Group1 and group placements in puppy groups and as an adult. He has been nominated for grand Champion Status, so he is considered a select animal currently. After being at so many shows , having people telling me he should be in commercials,prompted me to enroll Justin in acting school. He has done his fair share of winning. Most people I have to thank in my breed for there kind words of support for my child. Yet there are always a few that have to try and bring you down. Word got back to me that I was exploiting my dog and would be responsible for all the homeless Westies that would be in the pounds. See they felt that if everyone saw Justin in the Martha Stewart line, everyone would want one and then dump the dog. How crazy is that statement. Lets break it down, A) The little Ceaser dog has been out for years, that has not happened yet. B) Westies have been used on so many boxes, ads, commercials over the years. Still has not happened yet. What about all the other breeds that are used in ads, still a no. Maybe those who say such nonsense should look into their own inventory. To blame one person for such a situation is really reaching at straws. Hence listen to Thumper, he makes lots of sense. Thank you and good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment