Why is my dog itching? So many things can make your dog scratch. Inhalant allergies, food allergies, or contact allergies. The best thing to do is have a vet check your pet, but I can give you a few tips. First, look and see where your pet is loosing hair. If it is along the belly, under the chin, and on the leg areas, chances are its a contact allergy. Make sure what ever you wash the pets bedding in, is for people with allergies. Stay away from fabric softener. Wool rugs can also be a trigger. Many dogs have problems with wool. Beware fall is coming and leaves will be on the ground. On those leaves are mold spurs, do not let them walk or run in the leaves. Allergic dogs will flare from this. Other big problems are food allergies. One way you can help this is feed a quality food that has no Wheat, Soy, or Corn. I use Wellness Core, but there are several good one out there. Check with your local pet shop. This also goes for can food. Look at your labels. Sometimes it is easier to get a can of pink salmon from the store and mix it with the dry. My Westie does well on Ceaser and Natures Recipe Farmer Select. Inhalant allergies need to be handled by your Vet. There are shots you can give, much like the human shot. Getting down to allergies is a difficult task. Most times it a process of elimination, then allergic testing. Good luck with your furry kids.
One more note, use a shampoo that is Natural, or Oatmeal. In my experience, that is helpful to the skin. Vet Shampoo like Malasob is another great shampoo. Now for our story:
I have a client whose dog lost its hair suddenly. The dog was really getting sick. When I looked down, the baldness was even on both sides, and thinning all over. I told her it looked like a classic Thyroid problem. She had gone to several Vets, had the Thyroid tested, and it came out that the thyroid was fine. I told my client, have it checked again, and she did. Well this time the test showed her pets thyroid was malfunctioning, and put her pet on Thyroid pills. The dog has done a complete turn around, Walking better, hair came back, over all a much happier dog. Same thing happened to my cousins Pom. Lost hair on both sides, then loss all his hair. Several thyroid test came back ok. He started to seize. I told her check him again. Thyroid showed he now has a problem. After being put on a pill he now has hair, and he seizes once every 8 months compared to 1 time a month. Sometimes you have to keep checking until the thyroid hormone gets low enough to be seen. Just because it registers as normal, does not mean it is. I myself ran into the same problem as a adult human. I too am now on thyroid meds.
Puppy better on Thyroid Medicaton
No comments:
Post a Comment